Here are some status updates from Tzu Chi HQ and Tzu Chi Japan. In the US, Tzu Chi volunteers will begin street fundraising to support the relief efforts on Sunday (March 13). Please stay tuned for how we can help!
Global Headquarters (Hualien, Taiwan)
- An emergency command center at Tzu Chi headquarters was established on March 11 to coordinate earthquake relief efforts
- Command center staff held a video conference with Tzu Chi's Japan branch to find out what aid was needed
- Tzu Chi headquarters has prepared 50 tons of instant rice and 17,000 environmentally-friendly blankets to be delivered as soon as flights can take off
Tzu Chi Japan
- Tzu Chi members distributed 500 hot meals to people stranded on Tokyo streets because of power outages and traffic jams
- The foundation’s Tokyo branch has opened a relief center to help those affected by the biggest earthquake in the history of Japan. Located on the branch’s first floor, it began operations at 6.30 p.m. on Friday, less than four hours after the quake.
- The center is providing people with hot food, snacks, Internet service to contact their loved ones, a place to rest and sleep, and comfort for those in shock.
- Volunteers checked on the safety of their fellow Tzu Chi members in the affected areas. All those in Tokyo, Kanagawa and Kansai reported in safely. But it was impossible to contact those close to the epicenter of the quake, in Utsunomiya and Gunma and Yamanashi prefectures. The volunteers will continue to try to make contact with them.
Tzu Chi Japan Opens Relief Centre after Catastrophic Earthquake (March 12) http://bit.ly/hLM5bw
Tzu Chi begins distributing warm food to earthquake victims (March 12) http://bit.ly/fZXnnx
Tzu Chi set up Earthquake Command Center (March 11) http://bit.ly/fLTBUA